all these decades Hyderabad was looked upon as a quaint
cosmopolitan blend of the past and the present. But
after Nara Chandrababu Naidu became the Chief
Minister of Andhra Pradesh in 1995, this perception
was put to test. A new phase began in the life of this
400-year-old city. This phase was ushered in to put
Hyderabad on the global map of information technology.
It was ushered in by setting up HITEC, the Hyderabad
Information Technology Engineering Consultancy City.
This City that would ultimately be a techno township
offering a one step solution to the business and social
needs of the IT and related industries.
The Hitec City, Asia's largest software technology
park in the making, seeks to meet these objectives by
· Office space based on the designs & specifications
of L&T Infocity Limited.
· Land to companies, to set up independent facilities
according to their specific requirements and tastes.
The salient features of the Hitec City are:
· A sprawling 158 acres site just 14 kilometres from
the Hyderabad airport.
· A capital investment of over Rs.15 billion.
· Development in phases over 6 to 8 years.
· State-of-the-art infrastructure facilities - power,
telecom, earth station, roads, water, drainage system
· Ultra modern facility offering 864,000 square feet
of state of the art IT infrastructure.
· Wide range of space options from a module of 2,149
square feet to a full floor space of 51,223 square feet.
· Range of service providers - Videsh
Sanchar Nigam Limited & Software Technology Parks of
India for high speed, high bandwidth data communication
links and Department of Telecommunications & Tata
Teleservices Limited for voice communication with
ISDN exchanges, all housed within the facility.
Facilities like well-equipped conferencing, travel,
business and retail banking centres,
· ATMs, video conferencing studio room and restaurants
Backbone structured cabling, wired up to the workstation.
· Professional Operation & Maintenance Services round
the clock The Hitec City has three main units. Viz.
Cyber Towers, Cyber Gateways and Software Unit
The Cyber Towers is the first building to be set up
in HITEC City. Built in 1997, it offers more than half
a million square feet of built up space, and already
houses by 35 corporate giants such as Microsoft,
Oracle, General Electric, and Toshiba.
The Cyber Gateway is yet another tower that
is to become operational by October 2000. This tower
will provide a built up space of more than three fourth
million square feet. Software Units Layout Companies
can acquire land in this layout to set up their own
software units. Several Indian and US based IT companies
have already set up a base here.Some of the top ones
include VSNL, Softsol, Infotech and Vanenburg.
Many others, including Tata Consultancy Services
(TCS) are slated to set up their resource centres
Incentives offered keeping in tune with the State government's
Vision 2020 plan which seeks to make Hyderabad
most the preferred destination for investments. Several
incentives are offered to companies that make Hitec
City as their business address. Some of them are:
· Exemption from Pollution Control Act.
· 25% concession in power tariff for new units up
to 3 years.
· Software exempted from sales tax.
· Software industries exempted from zoning regulation.
· Self-certification / exemption under seven Acts.
· Rebate on the cost of land @ Rs. 20, 000 per job
created. One can get 1. 21 hectares of prime government
land free of cost for every 1, 000 people employed.
With all this and more to come, the HITEC city eagerly
looks forward to nurturing an investment friendly climate